Lukan's Farm Resort on Long Ridge Road, Hawley, PA, just down the road from the Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary. From Lukans.com site: Alois Lukan and Olga Meditz grew up in an area called Gottchee in Austria, which is now known as Slovenia. This was an area similar to Hawley in that it too was mountainous and rural. The families knew each other and as neighboring farmers, Alois would on occasion help the Meditz family on their farm. Alois immigrated to British Colombia, Canada in 1927 and Olga immigrated to New York City in 1937. In 1938 Alois became aware that Olga had arrived in New York the prior year so he went to visit her. They began to see each other regularly as the distance would allow, and in 1939 Alois asked her to marry him. They married in February of 1940. They returned to Canada, had two children and spent 11 years there raising their family. In 1951 they returned to the New York area and began to look for property in the hopes that they would find something that was reminiscent of their homeland back in Europe. Then in June of 1951 they purchased the land that is now known as Lukan’s Farm Resort, and that dream came true. With the rolling hills, rich soil for gardening, and miles of countryside far from the bustling city, Alois and Olga found their home away from home and turned it into a resort that would enable their guests to also feel as if they were in their home away from home. Lukan’s has continued to be family owned and operated through multiple generations and is still providing guests with the feeling of the comforts of their own home through their family style meals and personalized service.
This is referred to as the Hertel House after Fred Hertel who lived here while working for Frederick Dorflinger Suydam and his wife Dorothy Grant Suydam. The house is in the middle of the Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary, on Long Ridge Road, across Trout Lake (officially Butcher Pond) from the former home of glass maker Christian Dorflinger. dorflinger.org
This restored complex is now the Dorflinger Factory Museum in White Mills, Pennsylvania. From WayneHistoryPA.org - Route 6. White Mills In 1865 Christian Dorflinger began building his glass factory in White Mills. The first cutting shop was built in 1867 with John S. O'Connor in charge of six glasscutters and engravers who worked with one frame. lie remained in charge until 1890 when he opened his own cut glass business. Eventually Mr. Dorflinger hired experienced glasscutters from Sweden. France, Ireland and England. In 1883 this 3-story native stone building became the second cutting shop for Dorflinger Glass Company. It is approximately 160 ft. long and 35 ft. wide. The first and second floors are at ground level because it is situated on a side hill, and both have brick arched ceilings. The first floor (or basement) was used as a storage room for the company's blanks. The second floor was used as the annealing room. The cutting and engraving rooms were located on the third floor. The cutting department had a 75-hp steam engine, which turned more than a hundred cutting wheels; the engraving department had a 6-hp steam engine. These engines were powered by two boilers in a wooden frame addition located in the rear of the building. The huller room had an iron chimney on a 55 ft.-high stone base. The factory had gas lighting, steam heat, and water pipes that ran throughout the building for fire protection. These water pipes originated at a feeder pond, located a short distance above the property. By 1903 there were 650 workers at the Dorflinger factory. Christian Dorflinger died in 1915. and the factory closed in 1921. White Mills is also home to the Dorflinger Glass Museum on the 600-acre Dorflinger-Suydam Wildlife Sanctuary. This property was originally the home to glass maker Christian Dorflinger and his family in the mid-1860s to the mid-1870s. www.dorflinger.org